If the sun were to rise in the west, I would break my word.
Were the danger even greater, I should not go. 如果危险再大一些,我就不去了。
5. A mountain is not famous because it is high. 山出名不在高。
I don't believe that he will come tomorrow. 我相信他明天不会来。
Mary did not leave the office in order to meet Tom. 玛莉离开办公室为的是不见汤姆。
注:上面这三句话中都包含一个被转移的否定词 not .因此不能把第 1 句理解成:"山不出名是因为高。"也很少将第 2 句转换成:" I believe that he will not come tomorrow. "第 3 句可以转换成:" Mary left the office in order not to meet Tom. "也可以将其理解成:"玛莉没离开办公室是为了见到汤姆"。为了避免产生上述歧义,我们最好说:" It was in order to meet Tom that Mary did not leave the office. "(玛莉没离开办公室是为了见到汤姆。)和" It was in order not to meet Tom that Mary left the office. "(玛莉离开办公室为的是不见汤姆。)
6. Who in the world (on earth) told you that? 那事到底是谁告诉你的?
注:这里的 in the world (on earth) 是用来加强语气,意思是"到底","究竟",而不是"在世界上"。
7. He is too ready to talk 他爱说话。
Men are too apt to forget. 人们往往健忘。
We are only too pleased to work together with the workers. 我们和工人们一起劳动,太高兴了。
They are but too glad to do so. 他们非常喜欢这么做。
注:若 too 后面跟 ready, apt, likely 等形容词,或 only too, but too, all too 和 not too 后面跟一个形容词或副词,则后面的不定式没有否定意义。
8. No man is so old but he may learn. (= No man is too old to learn.)
I never go past my old school but I think (= without thinking)of Mr Wilkins, the headmaster.
注:这里的 but 是从属连词,本身有否定含义,而不能被理解成"可是"。